Government Funding

Getting help towards the cost of your childcare has now become so much easier. The Government have a fantastic website :
Here you will find all the Government Childcare Offers and you can navigate to the help that is best for you.

You can also use the websites calculator to quickly find out which of the offers are available to you and choose what works best for your family. The link for this is :

2 Year Old Funding

You may be eligible for a free early education place for your 2 year old of up to 570 hours per year.

Eligibility Criteria

To receive this funding, you must be getting one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Tax credits and have an annual income under £16,190 before tax
  • The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Universal Credit – Please note that the Universal credit eligibility criteria for the two year old offer, is currently subject to consultation.

Children are also entitled to a place if:

  • They’re looked after by a local council
  • They have an Education, Health and Care plan (formerly a Statement of Special Educational Needs)
  • They get Disability Living Allowance
  • They’ve left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order

Funding starts…

The funding starts the term following your child’s second birthday:

  • A child born between 1st April and 31st August can access childcare from 1st September
  • A child born between 1st September and 31st December can access childcare from 1st January
  • A child born between 1st January and 31st March can access childcare from 1st April

Free Early Years Education for 3 and 4 Year Olds

Free flexible early education for 570 hours a year for all 3 and 4 year olds.

  • The 570 hours can be used over 38 weeks of the year during term time. This means a maximum of 15 hours a week of free flexible early education can be accessed throughout term time.
  • If you prefer you can stretch your funding over 50 weeks of the year.
  • The 15 hours can be taken over a minimum of 2 days per week.
  • No session can be longer than 10 hours
  • No session can be shorter than 2.5 hours (at Nurture minimum is variable depending on setting attended)
  • Sessions are restricted to between the hours of 8am and 6pm.
  • The funded hours can be split between a maximum of two childcare providers (for example a pre-school and a childminder).

When does this funding start?

Children will qualify for a free early education place the term after their third birthday.

  • Children born between 1 April and 31 August can access entitlement from 1 September following their third birthday.
  • Children born between 1 September and 31 December can access entitlement from 1 January following their third birthday.
  • Children born between 1 January and 31 March can access entitlement from 1 April following their third birthday.
  • Schools with early years provision

Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP)

What is this ? – Additional funding for your child Did you know your childcare provider may be entitled to £300 of extra funding to improve the education of your 3 or 4 year old?

This funding may be used by your childcare provider in a number of ways, for example, to provide new resources, staff training, additional support and new play or learning experiences to help improve outcomes for your child.

Previously we have used this additional funding to purchase specific  resources, i.e Mathematical resources/equipment and currently we are using EYPP.  These have been identified as areas to develop through discussion with parents and key persons of  our EYPP children.

To qualify

Your child must be in receipt of Free Early Education in order to apply for EYPP, and, your family must meet the eligibility criteria. See the Gov UK website for eligibility and further details. Please note that the Universal credit eligibility criteria, is currently subject to consultation.

What do I do next?

If you think you qualify, talk to us and complete the Parent Declaration form.

Got a question?

If you have an enquiry about EYPP, contact the Family Information Service.

Further Help

If you are a full-time higher education student with dependant children, you may be able to get extra financial help. Please take a look at the Childcare Grant at If you are under 20 then you may get help through the Care to Learn Grant.  You can find more information on this at If you are eligible for Universal Credit you may be able to get up to 85% of your childcare costs paid. You will be able to find out more information at

Tax Free Childcare

If you apply for Tax-Free Childcare, you won’t be able to get:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Childcare Vouchers by your employer Your Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit payments will stop automatically if you successfully apply for Tax-Free Childcare.